« Home | Some pictures from NYC » | so good they named it twice (and other clichés)... » | 5 weeks to go... »

Food and Shopping

There's lots of exciting things to talk about when you move countries - new friends, jobs, events, dating, sightseeing and so on and so forth...

But let's leave all those just for a minute to talk about some very important issues - yes I'm talking about Food and Shopping.

America has a 24/7 Food network on cable tv, where you can learn how to prepare prosciutto-wrapped fresh figs stuffed with a delicate blue cheese, or alternately prepare some of the fattiest foods I've ever seen (hamburgers stuffed with pats of butter and sausages), in the back of your ute.

Some people would have you believe America is becoming a gourmet nation, but I've seen / tried some things here that go beyond cultural difference, and I've been here so many times before, so it isn't like I expected things to be exactly the same as at home, or I'm talking about the standard things all Australians are amazed by in the States - eg. how gigantic the servings are.

I'm talking about an entire restaurant that only serves macaroni and cheese. That's right folks, only macaroni and cheese. Now I've never eaten macaroni and cheese before (pasta al quattro formaggi, sure, but that's slightly different) . After this experience, I won't be trying it again.

Now I'm not saying the food was bad - it's just not my thing. Two bites as a side dish, maybe, but as an entire meal it was scary and disturbing; the place was packed.

Which brings us to shopping. I'm very lucky - my brother's neighbourhood has an amazing store nearby which has a great selection, and very fresh fruit and veg, as well as a whole lot of deli favourites - meats, cheeses etc etc. There's also a supermarket one block in the other direction.

It takes me hours to go shopping. I spend an insane amount of time trying to read packets and work out what the difference is between the 75 different types of the same product. I tried picking the first thing and buying it, but came home with crackers that have the taste and texture of shredded wheat cereal, but are flavoured with fake tomato and basil flavouring.

Despite this, choice is not an option when it comes to things like jars of kalamata olives (one type, pitted), preserved lemon (specialty item - one type - not what I was expecting) and flavoured tuna (it doesn't exist).

I have, however, discovered Israeli couscous, and as soon as I can find it in a shop I'll be making up a great dish I tried at a dinner party - olive oil, mushrooms, garlic - delicious!

now a word from Ness's parents.. Dad says try Zabars for the couscous.

now a word from Ness's punster Uncle Ian..

Mahatma Gandhi, as you know, walked barefoot most of the time, which
produced an impressive set of calluses on his feet. He also ate very
little, which made him rather frail and with his odd diet, he suffered
from bad breath. This made him. (Oh, man, this is so bad, it's good. . )
A super calloused fragile mystic hexed by halitosis.

Post a Comment