« Home | Lizards r us » | If teleporting were only possible » | Erratum » | Ceiling update » | Overcoming Cultural Difference » | I heart NY » | Snow!!!! » | Arty » | Harlem Blues * » | Yayyyyyy!!!! »

You win some, you lose some..


I have been planning to write a post here about my new job (well - my new 4 week gig, which counts as a job in this industry)... except that I've been so busy with aforementioned new job that I haven't really had time to write it (or to finish responding to my 70+ emails, and so I'm still a slackarse to all my friends, but that's another story)

So I'm finally sitting here, I've eaten dinner, it's not after midnight and I'm not exhausted. Why? Because aforementioned job ended early - shooting was pushed back to June, and consequently I'm unemployed again.

So being made redundant has its benefits - I slept in till 1pm today - catching up on much needed sleep. I wasn't even woken up that much by the guy who came to fix the hole in the ceiling. I managed to clean my room, the kitchen and the bathroom. Tomorrow I may go to a museum or do some wandering around the city if it isn't too cold. Or go to Central Park and take pictures of the snow.

The job was really good - costume assistant on a documentary series. I got to use my research skills, got to go and hunt down samples of things in the fashion district, make contacts with wholesale suppliers of cloth and braid. I was learning new things - I felt challenged. And I need to feel challenged, otherwise I get very bored.

But the shoot has been pushed to June, so for now I'm out of work. In June, they'll bring me back on board, and I have a few days lined up in the meantime, but nothing long term, and nothing seems to be really busy here.

But that may change. The designer I was working for was fantastic, and he's going to recommend me to other people he knows. It is pilot season here, which is when the TV stations commission one-offs of all their new shows in the hope that some of them will be good enough to be picked up.

I don't want to say more, because I don't want to jinx things. I was so excited about the 4 weeks of work that I told a bunch of people and then it all ended. Call me superstitious, but in an industry where things change so quickly, and everything is flexible and moveable, I guess it's not such a good idea to be so public in discussing what you're doing, in case you come in the next day and find it's your last ;^)

Never,ever tell people about a gig in advance. It'll always fall flat and they won't ring you for three years because they think you're busy. Never, never,never.

Thanks Innocent - I'm learning to be more discreet! Went out the other night and didn't tell anyone about things that might be in the works.. even to people who were in the business and who would understand.. I'm learning...

Post a Comment