« Home | Arty » | Harlem Blues * » | Yayyyyyy!!!! » | Knowledge is a wonderful thing.. » | Subway Superhero » | Much needed update.. Part 3 New Years; new friends » | Much needed update.. Part 2 Beyond Xmas » | Much needed update.. Part 1 Xmas » | Grey New York Day - forecast for Piceans » | My (current) fave website »

Snow!!!!


It snowed last night - quite heavily for the first time. I think I actually prefer it when it snows, because it's really beautiful, and the temperature gets a little warmer. Before the snow, the wind is icy and cold and can pierce every single layer of clothing you have and get into your bones.

The other night it went down to 9 degrees with the wind chill factor. Wind was blowing at 25-30 mph. Hmmm translation - that's minus 13 degrees celsius with 40km/hour winds. I went out. I'd met a new friend at a function to do with my old job that was happening here in NYC. She's Australian, but she lives in Scotland, where I used to live, and we just clicked. So we went out to have some drinks and a bit of a dance in the freezing cold.

The problem is that outside it's freezing, so you wear thermal silks, several layers, a big coat filled with goose down, gloves, scarf, hat... and then you go into a bar or restaurant or club, and it's all warm and toasty. Thankfully most places have coat check, but at the last place we went to, not only was there no coat check, but it was so warm and we wanted to dance, so i actually had to strip off down to a little funky top standing next to the dance floor.. I don't know what people thought when it looked like I was down to the last layer and then took that off too to reveal a shirt to dance in, but we soon had a whole bunch of guys coming over to talk with us.