« Home | You win some, you lose some.. » | Lizards r us » | If teleporting were only possible » | Erratum » | Ceiling update » | Overcoming Cultural Difference » | I heart NY » | Snow!!!! » | Arty » | Harlem Blues * »

Paris is Burning


I just watched one of my favourite documentaries - Paris is Burning. I had been planning on going and wandering around, but it's cold, and I'm heading out later, so when I saw it was on, I stayed and watched.

I've always loved this doco - it's about a specific community celebrating who they are and in the process influencing fashion and culture in general, although that wasn't necessarily the intention. I hadn't seen it for many years, and seeing New York in the late 80's and the culture of the ballrooms made me wonder if any of it had survived. A few Google / Wikipedia searches later, and I discover that not only have several of the major players since passed on, but that one of them has her own myspace page, and has appeared in a film with with Danny Glover and Matt Dillon, however the director hasn't really made that many things since. And the ballroom that featured many of the balls is still a venue, soon to be hosting an American Metalcore band concert...

Hey Ness.. please can you go to the private place to talk.. Portugal is revolting..

Post a Comment