« Home | work work work work work work work » | Very Superstitious.. » | News from home - A shameless strip for trip to the... » | You win some, you lose some part 2 » | Article 25. Universal Declaration of Human Rights » | Customer Service » | Happy Birthday to me » | Se habla espanol » | Hair in the 'hood » | From 90 to 50 in 3 days »

I'm Baaaack!!!!


Apologies to those who thought I'd died and not had the foresight to tell them.. I've been in film-land, that magical place where you work long-arse days (16+ hours), get very little sleep (averaging 3-4 hours a night), have no food in the fridge (unless you count vitamin water, red bull, a jar of branston pickle, jalapeno slices and some sweet thai chilli sauce), have no social life, and don't get to respond to emails or texts unless they specifically relate to the project you're currently working on.

I actually got a text from a friend here that simply read have you disappeared? I had to reassure him that I hadn't been kidnapped by aliens. Other friends who knew the deal sent me encouraging "we're thinking about you texts" which helped keep me sane when things were totally otherwise on set.

So if you were wondering where the hell I was, the answer is something like:
Production Office / Queens / Brooklyn / Manhattan / coming home and collapsing and getting up in the morning and doing it all again.

Of course it's more complex than that, but the internet is a very big place and you never know who may drop by via a well chosen word in a google search, and I'm not the most anonymous of bloggers, so no juicy salacious info from me - sorry!!

However, some personal highlights include:
*learning my way around some obscure parts of the city to the point where I may even know them better than my own hood
*networking / negotiating / dealing with people and reminding myself I'm really good at it and have heaps of experience in this area, and haven't used it professionally for a while
*negotiating the ups and downs of film permitting in NYC and coming out the other side with a much better understanding of how it all works for next time
* becoming a new york driver in 1.5 hours while having to suddenly move 6 vehicles and personally re-park a 4 wheel drive / SUV in downtown Brooklyn in the middle of a week day
*remembering that I'm really good at training people and helping them get the best out of their experiences so they'll do an even better job next time (as long as they have initiative - without that, as Flava Flav says I can't do nothin' for ya man)
*pulling off a few coups that people didn't think were possible and getting praise for them and for the job I was doing from a whole bunch of different people.
*working with a great crew of people, and making some good friends and great contacts for the future.

Have lots more to write about (like how excited I am that my friends Tom & Ish are here!), but this will have to do for now... another 5am start tomorrow...

Hasta la proxima,

Ness xxx

heya honey - I was so proud of you reading this post.. so proud - until I read that you had pulled off a few COPS in your new job.. and i thought.. ohh honey.. really.. is that anyway to get ahead?

Honestly had to read that 3 or 4 times before I got it..

Now back to being proud of you - you go girl! What are you gonna wear to the Oscars?

Congrats Girlfriend....Keep up the good work, do you need a blog friend to accompany you to the Oscars??

@ Kimba: nooooo honey.. spent a lot of time with Cops (lots of assistance for driving shots, blocking off roads etc - filming in NY is great like that) and they've all been great to work with, but there'll be none of that innuendo, thank you!!

@CP - you're on!! You should so come to NY and hang out (or maybe they'll move the Oscars to Toronto and I'll come visit.)
unfortunately I don't think they give out Oscars for the bits of filmmaking I'm currently doing.. typical!

Post a Comment