« Home | Photos » | One Down... » | Homeland - the feature » | Me & Yogi Berra » | Mea Culpa.. » | Six Feet Under Finale ClipWARNING - Spoiler!If you... » | Busy, Busy, Busy » | Photos » | Food and Shopping » | Some pictures from NYC »

Thanksgiving

Well folks - I celebrated my first Thanksgiving in America. Given the actual nature of the holiday, many Americans feel it's the one unique "American" holiday that all can participate in, regardless of race or religion. I'm not really sure how Indigenous Americans feel about it, but as you can imagine, the repercussions of that part of the whole day on Native Americans is not widely discussed or even mentioned..

Mainly it's about people wishing each other "Happy Turkey Day" (I kid you not - although this is somewhat tongue-in-cheek), major shopping for food, visiting family, eating like crazy, a big parade, and then the inevitable post Thanksgiving day sales, which are referred to as Black Friday.

My flatmates devolved cooking of the turkey responsibility to me, and I'd like to state for the record that my turkey was excellent - all that practice I did last year really paid off. I also made a slightly different version of my grandmother's candied yams recipe - all of this without any of my cookbooks, which are all in a box in Australia.

I'd also like to point out that for the first time I can remember, I'm living in a place with very little kitchenware. For those of you who know me well, you'll know how hard this is for me.

We don't have:
(a) tongs
(b) small plates - like bread and butter or salad
(c) more than 3 standard knives
(d) more than one good cooks knife - which I bought
(e) any casserole dishes
(f) no roasting pans - we bought some small things and a disposable turkey one the day before

Never the less, dinner was superb - guess I'm embracing minimalism ;^)

For those of you who are the proud inheritors of a whole lot of my kitchenware - I hope you are enjoying it, and are putting it to very good use!!

fantastic darling.. looking at your turkey makes me want to go home and cook one right now!! and light a fire .. because although we are only a few days away from summer - it's quite chilly.. buggerit!

sounds like it is all fun over there.. good gal - and to think you were questioning if you were doing the right thing!

How's your 'chef replacement'?

kimba

I'm doing well without the cookbooks and utensils - thanx for asking...

Oh.. you meant something else... that's a private email conversation girlfriend! we aren't all as brave bloggers as you ;^)

Post a Comment