« Home | Driving, driving, driving... » | Overheard... » | All My Eggs in One Basket » | To sleep perchance to dream » | American Standards Association » | Fave Quotes » | Apparently I'm confident... » | I'm Baaaack!!!! » | work work work work work work work » | Very Superstitious.. »

Overheard Uptown..


I can't help it - this really is my fave website...

Wednesday One-Liners for the Upper Manhattan Empowerment Zone

Conductor: This is your conductor speaking. This station is 125th Street... Welcome to Harlem world.

--2 train

Overheard by: mo love

Geeky white hipster: Some guy would try to mug me and I'd be like, 'Yo, I was born in Harlem!' And he'd be like, 'Damn.'

--Fordham University Ram Van

Woman on cell: Yes, I'm still in Harlem.

--Flushing, Queens

Hipster waitress, after describing dull evening in Harlem: I guess you take your chances, going all the way out in the middle of nowhere like that.

--Hope & Anchor, Red Hook, Brooklyn

Friendly man to lady passerby: Good morning! [She ignores him.] Come on, this is Harlem! In Harlem we say, 'Good morning'!

--145th & Broadway

Young black kid to group of white ladies: There goes the neighborhood!

--116th & Frederick Douglass, Harlem


via Overheard in New York, Jul 4, 2007

There goes the neighbourhood, was my fav

One of my favorites goes something like this:

Conductor: This is the train going west. Repeat going west, away from Queens.

Doors open, everyone gets off, doors close

Conductor: This is the train going East. Repeat East to Queens

Post a Comment